Millions of people belong to various social networks on and off line. But how are online social networks effecting our off-line relationships. What is the need when you can sit silently typing away on your computer, dressed in who knows what, and the ability to create a whole new identity to be judged on. Yet again, is the internet allowing people to maintain and strengthen off-line relationships through the easy and availability of communication. Families can communicate easier with sharing photos, sending emails. Old high school friends can find each other and stay in contact much easier through sites such as facebook. And people are able to meet new friends/ significant others through sites such as MatchMaker. But, in addition, there are communities that are open to the general public, based on interest. Online communities for various niche and general markets are popping up all over the web. Covering anything on health care to the best saddle for your horse. They can provide a great source of free information, peer review, and even classifieds.
My life pretty much revolves around the wonderful world of horses, so naturally that carries over into my “on-line life.” I belong to a community called the Chronicles of the Horse Forum (www.chronicleforums.com), which although has sprung from a magazine (that I have never read, but love the forum!), although is maintained primarily by volunteers and the members themselves. With over 32,000 members, the site has attracted a lot of attention within the horse community. The forum is rather specific towards your interest in horses based on the discipline you ride. By breaking it down into several categories, information is easy find, read, and understand (that is if you understand the horse language to begin with!). If you have your own question that is not already post, not a problem, quick become a member, select ‘create new post’, and ask away.
I have found it really helpful for situations with my horses health care that are general enough that I don’t want to call my vet, pay them $100 to come out, just to find out it’s something simple that I can easily treat. With access to a number of vets, farriers (who trim and shod the horses feet aka hooves), and trainers it’s easy to find the solution by describing the problem, or even providing pictures. Granted, if my horses leg looks as though it’s about to come off, I’m not going to run to the computer to find out what to do, I’ll call the vet. Also it’s a great way to find out about products or companies recommended by your peers who have used it for the same purpose you have. Although I think one of my favorite posts that I discover on here… budget friendly solutions. Various people wrote recipies and suggestions on household products that can be picked up at places like the dollar store that are often 10 times cheaper than going to my local tack store (horsey equipment).
Another great things, there is a classified section to buy and sell used products. Because I had to pick one of the most expensive hobbies/sports in the world, I’ll take any penny that I can save by buying used tack. Sure there are places like eBay but this whole board is: A. catered to horse people so you know what your buying is what they say it is, B. there are a lot of wealthier people on the board so you can get some really nice things really cheap, and C. there is a giveaway section. Give-a-way you say? Free horses that are generally retiered that are looking for a home, people looking to give a horse a home, and people who no longer want to be bothered with their old tack and just give it a way. One of the most heart warming stories I have found of strangers being kind to strangers was found here. One of my lesson students does not have a lot of money, but she works and hard and really takes good care of the horses. So I posted a wanted add, asking for anything old tack that she might be able to call her own. Within a week I had several large packages sitting on my door. Inside was complete strangers previously loved items. Total market value of those items: $420! Complete strangers…or are they?
Eubanks, M (2006). Online Social Networks Can Create New Forms of Community. Washington File , . retrieved October 19 2007, from http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=July&x=20060712194635xmsknabue0.1596033
. (n.d) retrieved October 19, 2007, from Chronicles of the Horse Fourm Web Site: www.chroniclefoums.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment